Monday, December 24, 2007

south korea

Finally, I am back in vibrant Seoul. (Daegu and Gyeongju seems as though they have been left out in all types of advancements in the world).

I reckon this is a trip which really really exposed me to very very extremely different places/things/food/people. Although I felt very uncomfortable (I still feel a lil surreal now)I guess I've learnt a pretty substantial amount.

My idea and my parents idea of the trip was traveling and sticking together but it didn't exactly turned out the way I'd expected. The hostels we stayed were substandard and the one in Gyeongju was...really...one of a kind.

There were many occasions which made me kinda...speechless. Like...ermz.............

Ok am I making this sound bad? Its not that bad its just that I found it odd because its very different from the trips I've been to. But it pushed me out to learn more, do things which I wouldn't do given a choice, realized that traveling alone is really no big deal and that Huiling should grow up now.

I knew these all along:
1) Everyone is different
2) Huiling shouldn't think so much
3) Huiling is not very street smart
4) There are all kinda people out there

But I realized these during this trip:
1) Everyone is SO different - They think I am weird and I think they are odd. We cringe at each other's perspectives and can never deceipher nor understand what the opposite side is thinking.
2) Huiling really should STOP thinking so much and lead life as it is.
3) Huiling should learn how to read maps and have a better sense of direction. She would stop relying on random people on the streets for directions because due to that, she reached the same spot after 3hours of walking.
4) Really, there are really ALL TYPES of people out there. Although I know it, I still wonder how they lead that kinda life (city girl's point of view) and they probably be wondering how I lead my life

In short, this trip is kinda a realization trip. Not really fun per se (considering the odd places we visted, the dodgy hostels and buses we took) but its kinda the first time I traveled alone for a day or 2 in a foreign country without knowing their language and just randomly walking around.

Although I felt a lil demoralized and frustrated at times, I reckon I've a lot to improve on and....
Open-mindedness is really the crux of backpacking.
I must say that I haven't reached that level of open-mindedness and still cringed at the thought of traveling alone and being very hesitant about many stuff. But oh wells, I hope my next trip would be a better one after this experience. I thought I was relatively well prepared but apparently not.

My cracked heels, cold sore on my lips etc really spoilt a large part of the trip and me dwelling on certain things did in fact make the trip less enjoyable.

But after this experience, I realized that really, the world ain't small. Don't wonder so much bout how people lead their lives, what they eat, what they wear etc. Just know that they are very different and none is superior than the other. I guess I should stop living in my own small lil world and be more receptive bout other stuff. And...I should stop being so paranoid traveling alone. Its not that dangerous as it sounds.

So Huiling! Pack up your past into a small lil box and chuck it into the corner under your bed. There is a whole new world out there for you to explore! You have no time dwelling in your past and being so caught up bout you and your random senseless thoughts! Remember that!

No comments: