Friday, November 14, 2008

Reflections I

Its definitely not the most appropriate time to be doing this on the eve of my final paper but I think I can afford to, considering that I'm almost done with revision and the myriad thoughts in my mind have been nothing but distracting.

Responsibility vs Personality
I think people often get away with stuff using the excuse that 'this is who I am' and the other party, without thinking might just accept it thinking thats just she/he, it is an inherent personality which she/he can't change and we shouldn't interfere with it.

But wait a minute, isn't it too easy for him/her? To brush his/her responsibility off just because 'that is just me'. Damnit, I can easily be a bitch and maybe later pretend to be apologetic and pretend to feel helpless for what I've done because 'that is just me'.

Come on, it can't be that easy, there must be something called responsibility to tilt the scale back to balance. Sadly, responsibility isn't an inherent personality for everyone. Its subjective and some smugs would probably go on and on about them being responsible in this and that when in actual fact, they are nothing close to that.

Responsibility isn't something you talk about or show. Its something which flows from what you do. Its not something you think you are, its something people say you are. It is not gauge by you but by a reasonable standard. (I really do not like to bring in that law-ish test but I think that is most fitting)

In short, you cannot be certain that you are responsible just because you think you are. You might be sometimes but that doesn't apply to all situations. And, you act because thats the way you are ain't the best reason to explain what you have done - its really an artificial excuse which provides no justification in your actions. Alright, maybe it does a lil, but still, there is something called self-control. I can't go around murdering anyone I hate just because 'thats the way I am' - you don't expect yourself to be acquitted with that 'defence'. There is something called self-control which people practise to keep things in order. You do not own the world and your actions do not contain to yourself. As much as you want to stay true to yourself, you got to know you are not alone in this world. And as much as you said you've practised self-control and are indeed, a responsible person, look around to see the consequences of what you've done before claiming that.

Again, its all about the balance.
Do you have that? Or was it something you thought you had?

No comments: