Friday, August 8, 2008

CHINA, Japan or Europe? [Edited]

*rips hair apart...
Ok, this is going to be real quick cause I'm supposed to do my tutorial for the next hour.
[edited]: I actually missed my tutorial at last =(

BUT my whole mind is clouded with conflicting thoughts about...
WHERE I SHOULD GO IN DECEMBER!!!
I was set on going to Japan since last year, I bought the lonely planets and felt as if I'm so well-prepared for the trip the only thing lacking was the air ticket.
In order not to disappoint myself again, I was determined to go this year.
Then a slight change in plans and we decided to go Australia which was just cancelled.

After which I was still determined to backpack Japan although I have not exactly came up with a plan to convince my parents to let me do it alone.

But recently I've been hearing so much about China. I mean, I have been hearing about China growing and blah quite some time ago but as the day of entering into the working society draws near, I can't help but feel the need to know more about the economy. I know China is growing at a breakneck speed. I see and hear about it everyday through the media and people. But I some how feel unconvinced that I would or even might work there or even have anything to do with them. I know I need to be physically there to experience their growth - not just see but actually feel it.
(Ok, I admit, I do not exactly like the China Chinese but I guess its just a baseless stereotype. I need to go there and see it for myself)

And considering it would be just after the Beijing Olympics, I'm quite sure I would be blown away by what I have to see. They are growing, and growing fast. I remembered watching CNA when I was in Singapore - MM LKY was talking about them and their importance. There was this episode about wonder kids - kids with talents. They interviewed 2 kids - 1 from Singapore another from China, both are around age 9. And I was so impressed and touched by what that China kid had to say. You can never expect that from a 9 year old Singaporean. They.are.so.matured. The Singaporean didn't exactly leave a very deep impression. My parents went over to Mongolia and China during June and when they came back, he told me that I have no idea how strong is China now. Even Mongolia is not as underdeveloped as I imagined. At last, he just ended with a sigh, 'You kids, are gonna suffer next time.' - Implying that we are either going to face such strong competition from China or we (Singaporeans) are not in such a rosy situation as we think we are.

In the past, I was always firmed on working anywhere but China. But I reckon its not for me to say anymore. Business knows no geographical boundaries. Embrace China.

Ok what happened to my short post and tutorial?!
Anyhows, let me continue.

WQ is traveling in Europe now - and it would be perfect if I could join her in December. I can fly over in early December, start the tour by myself to the places they have already visited and then meet up with them in Netherlands. Sounds cool, perfect and plausible. BUT its gonna cost a bomb and the opportunity costs - forgo China or Japan?

Traveling to China is cheaper and potentially useful for my future career. But I'm pretty sure no one would want to accompany me to China and it would be a straight no from my parents to do that alone - I'm not that confident that I even dare to.

Traveling to Japan is my dream and potentially useful too - Japan is the second largest economy in the world and I have the utmost respect for their working attitude. And their super cool culture! But its expensive...

Traveling to Europe - easy to get a nod from my parents since WQ and her friends are there already. But its gonna be SO expensive I might faint from hyperventilating when I work out my budget. Maybe Europe is a better choice for graduation trip, when I do not want to think about any career-related stuff.

Ahhhh........ where should I go or would I even go any where at all?

[edited]: Oh! I decided to have a wish list at the side, replacing the previous page element 'In the news' cause it was such a hassle - it needs updating which I don't and it gets real outdated. Yup, my birthday is around the corner, ~ 5 more months. You get my obvious hint?

No comments: