Monday, March 30, 2009

Karangahake Gorge Trip

Feeling awfully stress now, I've decided to eat a banana and blog about...um..something.

Oh yeah, about my tramping trip yesterday. The physical challenge I imposed upon myself with not much regret I must say.

Well I did initially, when I had to drag myself out of bed at supposedly 630am but I only managed to at 7am on a Sunday morning, mind you. I cursed and swear and rushed and barely made it in time. We headed up North to somewhere near Paeroa (where the famous L&P drink originated). It was around an hour 40min drive and I soon nodded off in the car - you see the reason why I am still procrastinating in taking my driving license.

Admittedly, I do not really know the details of the trip. I know we were going tramping somewhere outside Auckland but thats about it. I was so caught up trying to finish what I was supposed to finish and that overshadowed any bit of excitement about the trip. Anyway, we got there and I just felt absolutely lazy and tired. I wonder where my so-called adventurous spirit and passion for outdoors went. See the evilness of jurisprudence and legal research? They consume you into their black hole, swallowing up your every bit of emotions towards anything else. (Ok, ok, I shall stop being melodramatic)

Anyway, I decided that I might just get an inspiration or 2 when I'm climbing up to presumably the summit of this thing I'm climbing. Maybe I'll get a moment of inspiration and come up with some radical new thought or concept which no one ever did. Or maybe I'll miraculously understand what is happening in whatever papers I'm taking now. Maybe.. so I started day dreaming about that whilst climbing the somewhat difficult trek. Soon, all those thoughts faded and all attention and energy was put into getting one feet ahead of the other. Gosh, I never learn my lesson, do I? Lesson learnt again: Do not attempt to do something physically challenging without first training. First was the National Vertical Marathon, now its this.

Well long story short, I managed to reach the summit and the view was of course, awesome.
Happily forgetting the shitload of work at home, it came back to haunt me by text: "Hey Huiling, I'm a little stuck on 399 (legal research). For Question 1.... " And the text went on about that. Sheesh, I can't believe its overarching presence, it even found me on the summit!!!

Since legal research is here to follow me, might as well complement it. I shall next provide you with a breadcramp trail showing how my tramp went:

Summit > lunch > headed down > explored some caves and tunnels and mines > saw the glow warms in a pitch-dark cave > felt a sense of comfort > went to a river and some went swimming/diving > met really nice people through the trip > trekked back to the car park > had takeaways > drove back to the city

Oh, and coincidentally, I met someone who is from Alexander! The small lil town we went mountain biking the other time. I never expected meeting someone from that small lil town up North in Auckland, neither did he expect meeting someone who have actually been there before. Then again, if the world is small, how big can New Zealand really be?

No comments: