Friday, March 20, 2009

My blog has been neglected and is becoming a lil depressing... I shall and must focus on the less-disheartening stuff...

Australia
I've been planning my trip to Australia during the inter-semester break. Got the accommodation settled, thanks to Joseph, Kaelyn and Yan (Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne). This is gonna be a really budgeted trip, mainly to breathe and relax. No concrete plans yet but most probably just day trips around the city and galleries, hopefully a performance in the Sydney Opera House, travel by rail from Adelaide to Melbourne, surfing at Bondi Beach and just wandering around.

Ukraine
It was a random decision I made. I was contemplating to apply for internships in NZ over the summer because I know it will be a very good learning experience. But, I do feel a lil reluctant, thinking that I'm always spending my holidays working. Not that I don't enjoy it, but its also true that I'm gonna work the next 30 or more years! I know an internship is definitely gonna give me a leg-up during my career-searching period, but I realized I've been hard-out in this aspect for quite some time. I might not have the luxury of time to travel next time - and what the hell, I rather that experience. (Although its very very very tough for me to give up the idea of working in a big company- then again, I might not get it) So yes, I decided that doing projects in Ukraine sounds more exciting than doing an internship in NZ (we get paid too) so...why not? Looks equally good on your CV, if that matters.

Haven't done anything impulsive lately and I'm getting a lil bored, frustrated, restless, dismal, somber and whatever upsetting feelings you can think off. Ok, so off I go for an interview tomorrow. I dropped that bomb to my mom last night and the rest of the conversation went on like this: "No, you are not going" and "I don't care, I am going". Then again, what are the chances of actually getting in? Not high. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Millenium Development Goals
I went for a talk by Salil Shetty, the Director of the UN Millenium Campaign, speaking about the progresses and challenges of poverty reduction made by the Millenium Development Goals. In his current role, he is one of the world's leading advocates for governments keep their MDG pledges to the developing world.

I wasn't extremely keen on going for his talk initially because what was going in my mind was this: Oh no, not another activist! I can imagine him going on about how great is their cause, how successful they are and blah blah blah. Then again, I do know stuff about this issue and I thought hearing what he had to say might bring more insights. So we went for the talk which started at a-not-very-early hour of 8pm (It was a very long school day and I was dead tired by 6pm). Ok admittedly, I was struggling to keep awake. Not that he was boring or anything, but you've no idea how tired I was. I poured sweets and water down my throat and opened my eyes as big as I possibly can. Finally, I got through the nodding off stage and could devote my attention to him.

I wasn't as inspired as my friend was after the talk, I'm quite skeptical about such va va voom goals and ideals. The speaker himself know the extreme obstacles they face. But at least, it reminded me of my younger days. I was really into this cause, alleviating poverty so to speak. I read heaps on it, had the desire to do something about it, came up with huge personal plans which I never really told anyone just to save myself from being labeled crazy. But as you grow up, you kinda see another side of the world, some people say that its "growing up" and it seems like skepticism is directly proportionate to it.

I'm terrified when my friend made this comment on me: I didn't know you are such an activist, Huiling (when she realized I joined the ONE campaign many years back). I immediately shot back, 'I'm NOT!' I don't want to look idealistic, I like to maintain that neutral position. Being neutral in the sense of not expecting huge goals to be fulfilled - its different from not wanting to help. But I guess, activists do have their use - if not for their persistent drive and dedication to a certain cause, I reckon much less would be done. I wonder what happened to that strong belief I had a few years back.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced how all these systems of funding/charity/schemes work effectively.

No comments: