Wednesday, April 2, 2008

irrelevant

I endeavour to make this blog a happy one.
But its not easy to keep a truthful smile on your face with a concatenation of bothersome events.

So, I (sometimes) turn to black humour - I'm sure you do too!



Oh man, these stuff have left me debilitated. But objectively speaking, I'm not in the worst situation.

I briefly skimmed through the article by John Flemming again. It made me feel so... brainless. I'm always concerned with peripheral issues and my skin-deep understanding of Contracts and Torts makes me feel uneasy.

Anyway, I heard my lecturer mentioning something about criminals when convicted, need to pay $50 which would be later used to compensate the victim. First reaction (trying hard not to roll my eyes) was trying to come up with a plausible reason to explain why would such a policy be feasible. Thinks hard.... and chuckles: maybe thats what makes us (NZ) different.

Decided that I shall not be so bias against NZ's policies, I tried to find out more, hoping for a believable explanation that could elucidate such an idea:

'National said yesterday it would levy all offenders $50 at sentencing and would put the money into a scheme to compensate victims.

Party leader John Key said the amount of the levy would not change regardless of whether it was a serious crime or a traffic offence and would be a one-off payment for the conviction at sentencing.

The money would help victims with one-off expenses not covered by ACC or other state help, such as travel to court and additional counselling.'

...
I find this more convincing:
'But Ms King today said large numbers of criminals would not pay.

That coupled with the scheme's administration costs meant there would only be about $2 million to $3 million a year to give out, meaning the scheme was nothing more than a gimmick.'

It probably can't even cover the operating costs.

And we have this thing called ACC - Accident Compensation Corporation:

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) administers New Zealand’s accident compensation scheme, which provides personal injury cover for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand. In return people do not have the right to sue for personal injury, other than for exemplary damages.

The negative side of this is that people tend to be less careful.
The positive side of this, and so they say, efficiency and arguably more fair to the victims.

My take on this: not exactly impractical but not all that effective too.



Its been a month since you all (5 of you) left!

No comments: