Monday, November 5, 2007

Parents

I was running some errands just now when I suddenly remembered this incident when I was really young..probably when I was in lower primary.

I was real pissed with my parents for some reasons which I can't remember and decided that that I don't need them to survive. (At the age of 7? Yeah right.) I thought that by paying them everything they've spent on me, I'll be free. So, I started calculating how much I must pay them back to gain my freedom (haha). I remembered trying to estimate the costs of the furnitures in my room, trying to remember what they've bought for me, how much money I've used from them. Up till one point, I decided that its impossible to calculate how much was spent on me and the amount was becoming too large for a young 7 year old to calculate - so I gave up and decided that I should just continue living under their shelter.

Haha its funny how we think when we were young but I never understood that point for the following years of my life. Till recently, I understood that..yeah, its really impossible for us - kids to pay back. So much have been invested on us, not just money but time, effort etc etc - you get what I mean. But I reckon they never really expect much from us in return - just to be a happy kid, a useful person, a filial child. Whether we earn big bucks in the future is just secondary.

My mom always remind me to buy her a LV bag and give her heaps of allowance for shopping when I start working. I hear the joy in my dad's voice when he talks to me about my future - he thinks I can earn a comfortable sum for both of them to splurge. It seems as though they are expecting lotsa monetary returns from me. But during the exams period, my mom would start asking me to drop law and not make life so difficult for myself. My dad would tell me that I don't need to do that well - a pass is enough. Both advices are those which will threaten their monetary returns from me. So I reckon that is really secondary and all they want is to see their kids leading a comfortable and happy life. Maybe we shouldn't be too obsessed with the notion of paying back to our parents (in terms of money). After all, that is not their priority when they decided to have us.

No comments: