Sunday, November 25, 2007

Whats the matter with you?

Its 550am now and I just settled down in my room. I was too darn tired when I came back just now and dozed off on the sofa downstairs. When I woke up it was already 5am and I was still in my office wear with all the make-up on and it felt utterly disgusting and dirty! Anyway obviously I went to take a bath and whilst doing that I recalled a series of events which happened recently – and that really pissed me off.

NZ High Comm

The other day I was at the NZ high comm. settling some of my passport-PR issues. As I was waiting for my turn, this middle aged guy was asking the receptionist (Singaporean) about which form he should get if he was to go for some medical check-up. His English wasn’t that fluent and he wasn’t that clear in what he was trying to ask. But that’s totally not his fault right? Unless you want to argue with me that it is because he didn’t study hard when he was young – and I would roll my eyes at you.

Ok anyway, I reckon he was a lil intimidated in that office because its some foreign country’s high comm.. The dumbass receptionist, being more fluent in her English, snapped at him whenever she had a chance to do so. I was so bloody pissed by her I so wanted to tell her off. The guy was like, ‘ Er…I want to get that form… to apply…’ And she would shoot a question at him with her impatient tone and that don’t-waste-my-time-I’m-more-superior-to-you kinda attitude. That poor guy just stammered because he didn’t really know what he should do and in face with that arrogant receptionist. I mean, its totally not his fault to not know what he should do because if he did, he wouldn’t be there or rather, he would be working for them. And that conceited receptionist is paid to work there to help these kinda people. I don’t get her – why the hell is she showing this kinda attitude as if she is some big-shot VIP when she is just a darn receptionist. Ok, I get it – your job is important, your job is highly regarded. But your freaking job is to help these kinda people you snobbish brat! That guy was just totally thrown into quite an embarrassing spot because she was talking quite loudly so everyone waiting in the office could hear. She made him sound as if he is stupid but I reckon she is the stupid one to think that she is more superior to him just because…she is a receptionist of the high comm.? Or maybe because her English is better? What crap! He may be some freaking millionaire whose 100times fluent in mandarin than she is in English.

I really wanted to tell her off so I sat there thinking what I was going to say when it was my turn. But the receptionist changed soon after. Argh! She got away with it too easily! She made me so disgusted by her. And I still don’t get it. What is that which can make her so arrogant about? Because she is working in a foreign western country’s high comm.? Roll my eyes!

HSBC staff

I was running some errands today so I had to make a trip down to HSBC. I was at the commercial banking level and security was quite tight. You need an access card to get into the office so if you ain’t a staff, you need to use the intercom to contact the person in the office you’re looking for. That’s quite usual but the extension numbers of the staffs printed on the paper were exceptionally small. Even I found it a lil difficult to read. So as I was waiting for the documents outside, this man probably in his late 50s came along and wanted to pass some documents to the staff inside. Obviously he can’t see the extension numbers printed on the paper. I reckon he wasn’t very sure whom he was supposed to find too. So he asked the staff who was walking into the office at that time. That young girl gave that indifferent attitude and said, ‘ go and look at the paper.’ The guy replied, ‘so small la, I cannot see.’ AND GUESS WHAT THAT YOUNG STUCK-UP GIRL SAID!!!!!

‘Then I cannot help you.’
……………………………………………………………………………
WHAT YOU MEAN YOU CANNOT HELP HIM!
Like that also need to teach?!?! She can help him by:
1) Just freaking tell him who he was supposed to find
2) Just call out to the person he was supposed to find
3) Just look at the printed paper and tell him the extension number to dial
4) Or just refer him to someone else who can help if she really is rushing for time, which doesn’t seem apparent at all
Was she really that dumb that she don’t know how to help him or she just didn’t want to? Obviously she didn’t want to. The thing is, the paper was just less than 1metre from her – she was standing next to it.

The guy was totally pissed but walked into the office without the access card since it wasn’t fully closed yet after that girl went in. I reckon he would get his stuff done once he get inside but WRONG! We took the same lift down and he was complaining to another person and I gathered that when he was inside, he asked another guy to help him and that guy asked him to go out and look at the extension numbers. Damnit, are you all that busy that you can’t even spend a couple of minutes for that old man. I’m sure you ain’t when all that I can see is people idling around. I mean there are some nice souls around because when I went up and kinda got lost, a staff directed me where to go and what to do and even went into the office and notify the person I was finding. But there were just a few stupid asses who that unfortunate man met. At last he didn’t get his stuff done and went back. Bloody shit I should just have just helped him find the person he was looking for. I kinda feel that people in that area are superficial. I mean, duh everyone is superficial. Haha ok, I don’t really make sense but yeah, basically working society is like that and I shouldn’t be too worked up bout it. But I reckon I really didn’t do my part in telling them off.

Its no doubt common that you meet up with such scenarios everyday but it doesn’t mean that it is right if it is common. Precisely it is rude and unbearable and worse still, normal, we should kinda do something bout it. But I reckon I don’t really have the guts and I must admit I don’t know how to handle such situations. And that pisses me off even more because sometimes, certain people just deserve to be told off and I didn’t do it because I’m just too slow in acting or don’t know how should I go bout doing it, which makes me feel like I’m one of those unhelpful people. I haven’t really met anyone being directly rude to me since I’ve started working. But I realized maybe there a lil factors to it. I was dressed in black and white formal wear when I was running some random errands – because I was supposed to be in that attire just in case I’ve to go to court. It makes me look as if I’m on some serious business or as if I’m some high-flyer which is obviously not the case – I’m just an unpaid intern. That old man was dressed in a less formal attire and was all sweaty from running errands but he is probably way experienced than me, earning obviously more than me, doing something more important than me. But just because I look as if I am some professional they gave me a lil more weight to me because they can only judge by appearance. Yeah, I think its inevitable that people do judge by appearance – I do too. You try not, but its kinda difficult in my opinion. But to render such attitude to anyone is just intolerable.

There are more occasions which pissed me off but I reckon this post is getting way too long so I’ll just end here by saying, I love my lifestyle now! Haha that’s random but I feel that I’ve been learning so much these few days from the internship although it may get very boring and tiring at times, I’m still enjoying it. Only if there are interns around my age in my dept, it would be great, cause currently my colleagues are way older than me and what do we talk about? Cooking, maids, work etc. I feel as if I’m getting a lil old as well. But its all good for now – work, learn, meet up with friends after work, home, a lil work, get real exhausted and sleep all the way through till the next day and everything repeats again. Although it sounds like a routine, it doesn’t feel like it because there are different cases everyday, learn different things, meet different friends… totally enjoying it such that I don’t wanna study anymore haha.

No comments: