Thursday, November 1, 2007

Bye Public, Bye Crim.

Public Law is finally over. And...it was atrocious. I was confounded by the questions.

Especially this - 'Ms Austen has heard that if Oceanic is successful in a further appeal to the Court of Appeal and the takeover is approved, then Island Air intends to lobby Parliament to pass legislation prohibiting foreign ownership of domestic airlines. What constitutional law concerns might this give rise to?'
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
This is really a test of...my creative writing. I bullshitted my way through.

And the most dissatisfactory question answered...was this question which seems as though its trying to test us on our math:
Assume that the 2008 general election results in the following distribution of seats in the House of Representatives:
ACT 7
Green 10
Labour 44
National 46
NZ First 6
Maori 7
Total 120

yawns.

And so the Green Party retaliated after 3 months blah blah blah and the PM approaches the Governor General with advice that another general election should be held as soon as possible. Advise the GG as to how he should respond.

Double yawns - I only could crap out 2 pages of advice for a 25mark question. Damnit.
Snorts - I'm an ignorant brat. I don't know what to advise the GG.

The 3hour paper felt as if it was a 6hour paper..the last hour was painful. Although I didn't have enough time to complete the paper, I was hoping to hear the examiner saying 'Stop writing' because, I was just sick of writing and I was so darn distracted by what happened last night.

Yeah, I could have done better in this paper but I reckon my prep work wasn't that fantastic and I was way too distracted by too many things recently. Hah. My friend even dropped by my place in the evening. Hah. I'm on my way to getting mediocre or rather, inferior grades.

Its kinda my self-declared holiday now because I'm over all my law papers and accounting. So I'm left with History which is a gened so its not particularly important. Skipped a substantial number of lectures and tutorials, with extensive materials to read from the period of 1400s to 2007, involving most countries - I'm pretty screwed. Hah. I've only a day to cover all of that crap. But I've lost all motivation and drive to study or even get started. I stayed out the whole day walking round aimlessly. Man... I need something to spur me on.

Oh, I came across my crim test paper while filing some of my stuff just now. I think this is the most ridiculous test I've ever took! (I remembered everyone laughing when they were reading the case)

Horace Rumpole, a barrister sole of Meadowbank, was becoming increasingly bored of a parade of poorly-paying criminal cases, most of which ended with the conviction and imprisonment of his clients. His wife, Rosemary, was disappointed as her husband's prospects of becoming a judge disappeared. Naturally, as a married couple, they misunderstood each other completely. Rosemary believed that Horace was drinking too much, and deeded to find a judicial position to prevent his descent to alcoholism. Horace thought that Rosemary was overdosing on hormone replacement therapy, and was showing signs of becoming suicidal. When Rosemary announced that Horace was required to get himself a judicial position 'and this time she really meant it', Horace decided that desperate measures were needed. -.-

Believing that it was the only way to protect Rosemary from self-harming, Horace decided that he needed to create a number of simultaneous openings on the District Court bench so as to improve his chances of getting a judicial post. When he was next in his local pharmacy, having distracted the pharmacist, he stole 20 doses of a medication he knew would cause psychotic symptoms if ingested by a healthy adult. He then engineered to attend a function at the Law School where he knew that a number of District Judges would be in attendance. Whilst the audience was listening to the Dean tell his small collection of anecdotes before the food and drink was served, Horace emptied his stolen medication into the wine glasses which were on the table.

The doctored wine was indeed drunk by several judges, as well as by other attendees. including a visiting French academic, Richard Grand-Bois. Various of the judges began to exhibit psychotic symptoms and several had epileptic fits: one, Judge Ballard, immediately began to run around the room feeling the breasts of every man or woman present. Grand-Bois looked across to Horace and saw him as a dragon; believing that this monster was about to attack the Dean, whom he held in great esteem, Grand Bois broke a bottle and charged towards Horace with the jagged edge, shouting 'For God, France and Aotearoa.'

Rosemary, arriving late at the function, saw a maniac Frenchman charging towards her husband with a broken bottle. Almost on reflex, her days as the prop forward for the Takapuna Ladies Rugby Team (-.-) came back to her and she rushed forward to protect her Horace. Grand-Bois was met with a more than equal force and hurled back towards the window and onto the balcony outside, Rosemary landing on top of them: the net effect was that Grand-Bois and the 3 bystanders each suffered broken ribs and deep wounds from broken glass.

You are asked to advise the prosecution on the defences which are likely to be raised by each of the defendants and their prospects of success.

Oh man... this case scenario is just so... dramatic and ridiculous.

Anyways, I just wanna end of saying - I'm so glad everything is over for Crim and Public. I will never see the above questions again. Never ever. As much as I've enjoyed certain lectures, I'm not gonna do anything related to these 2 papers again.

No comments: