Saturday, July 14, 2007

My Plans

I've spent and am still spending half of my time thinking about these kinda stuff..
When I'm walking, taking buses, basically, when I've the time..
I don't know when this started, vaguely in primary school, but a bit more seriously in Sec 3..and it accumulates through the years till today.

I always tell myself I'm halfway there, and to work harder and giving up is not an option.

Well, I thank my dad for making me do accounting. I was so against it initially because it somewhat brings along this negative connotation of being boring. And I thought science is boring enough. But I relented at last, because I was doing a design degree concurrently, so the interesting papers would offset the boring ones, so all in all, my time in university would be not too bad. But who would have expected that I sticked on to accounting and gave up design. I was THAT near in enrolling into BArts majoring in political studies when my dad asked why don't I try for law. I thought it was absurd at that point of time, but that greedy me just can't stop wanting more. I knew accounting, coupled with law can bring me anywhere in the future. They said its the only 2 degrees which can break into any industry. I thought...thats the safest yet riskiest choice. Either I get it or die trying. If I get it, I can do whatever I want. If I still love design, I can work in the design industry. If I don't like law, I've accounting to fall back on. If I'm bored with accounting, I can switch to law. Thank god, I'm fine with both law and accounting.

But its not easy. Its really not. My English is no where close to good. I can't talk like how they do. I don't have the flair in writing, I take ages to read and understand the case. And yes, there were many occasions I wanted to drop a degree. Even my mom tried persuading me to give up either one. But whenever I see those Part 1 law students mugging so hard for a place in Part 2, I told myself not to be stupid.

Just another 3.5 years of hard work, I can kick off my career. I really can't wait, I've been waiting since... primary school, doing everything I possibly can to bring myself closer to my goals. Now its so close, its making me really restless.

I just decided on the university I want to go to for exchange. Although it sounds weird for me to go for an exchange since coming to New Zealand is already like an exchange itself, but I reckon the more the merrier. Being rational, I think going to US is the best choice. Because 1) its worth it. Their school fees are crazily expensive and I only need to pay domestic fees. 2) their university is @#$%^& good and reputable. 3) the smart asses are there. But I just don't feel like. Next is Europe. Because 1) universities are not bad. 2) I like their culture and architecture 3) I'll rather backpack there than US. But I really don't feel like going to another western country. Next is Singapore. Ok, trash me! I know it sounds ridiculous to come back, but hear me out first! 1) I want to know who are my future working partners 2) I want to get an internship there 3) I want to know how law is like there 4)Networking. But its kinda difficult cause I'm a Singaporean and I need to appeal. So currently, I'm rather settled with Japan, Keio University. Because 1) I'm doing Japanese next sem, so might as well. 2) I can eat sushi 3) I like Japan 4) Most importantly, the business industry there is good, I think there's a lot to learn from them.

After the exchange, I'll come back to Auckland and wait for my graduation. In the meantime, I'll apply to one of the Big Four and also complete the scholarship bond. That would be in 2011. By the end of 2011, I would have completed my bond, my graduation with 1 year overseas working experience. Then, I'll move back to Singapore. Hopefully the previous working experience would come in handy. After working for a few years (hopefully in a MNC) with the related experiences and sufficient money, I'll quit and start my own business.

PriceWaterHouse Coopers (My Goal):

I'm not too certain what kind, but one of them definitely must be related to food, like a cafe or something. I thought of several concepts during the study period, which got me so distracted! After which, I'll see how it goes.

If my mom ever sees this, she would be shaking her head and be saying 'Huiling, stop day dreaming la'. Haha, yeah...maybe I'm just day dreaming, but goals push you, well at least it is one of the reasons which keeps me working hard. I may or may not achieve it, but its fun thinking of it. At least it keeps me on the right path. To work harder, score better, attend all my lectures, do all the readings.

I hope I don't need to get bankrupt in the process of that, if I do, everyone, please remember, I truly regard you guys as my very good friends.

But you know what, I think I need to start on my opinion now to kick start everything.

Christchurch





haha... I think this is the only photo I have with my brother ever since.. maybe kindergarten.
Christchurch is a beautiful city but just stupidly cold. Its so peaceful yet it made me pissed constantly with its stupid weather.

We almost missed our flight back. Our flight was at 7am, last check in at 630am, we got up around 615am. But guess what? We made it.

I'm getting a wee bit bored traveling within NZ. This is my forth time in Christchurch. My parents wanted me to travel with them in December both North and South again, then with the Odacians in Feb again.. My next destination...Australia! Although I've been there several times, but I guess thats my only alternative now. Since thats the next cheapest place to go to. Airfare I mean.

No comments: