Thursday, September 4, 2008

Nocturnal

Yeah, my sleeping cycle is totally screwed again.
But thank god everything is back to normal, or so it seems.

Uh, its coming to the end of my first week of hols which has been not surprisingly, unproductive.
The past week has been an ordeal but its over and I can finally steer my way back and normalize my daily routine (I hope it isn't too late). It has been wearying but nobody said it was going to be easy. (Although I would like to continue it by saying 'no one ever said it would be so hard')

Enough said of that. There should be a closure for now.

Anyways! My friends came over for a stay over last night and I attempted to cook chicken rice again. Uh, its been a long time since I did that - its too much trouble cooking unless its for a group. I realize it tastes different every time because I do not have a definite recipe to follow. Just a random observation - the rice seems proportionately smaller whenever I cook chicken rice, it seems as if it shrank during the process of cooking. They made nice chilled cheesecake but what a pity, I didn't get to see how it was done.

I think I am so used to people coming over such that I overlooked the need for being a good host. Its only after they've left then it dawned on me. Uh, I actually fell asleep when they were here and I thought thats pretty rude. Haha like, can you imagine yourself visiting someone and she falls asleep when you are there.

Anyhows, there I go again, posting for the sake of relieving myself from the pains of essaying yet minimizing the time left to the deadline - not as if I have much time left. Urgh my plans of going there and there (pointing at least 100km away) are totally zoomed down to here and here (pointing at most 100m away). That means my holiday destinations are zeroed in from Rotorua and Taupo to Waiheke and Rangitoto to Devonport and North Shore to Eden Park and Parnell then ultimately to - Gloria Jeans, Law School, Queen Street and Home. What does it prove? That at the end of the day, I am still stuck in my 100m radius route of travel! I can't believe this! Tell me bout how vast NZ is and blah blah blah and how tiny Singapore is - I bet I travel 100times the distance in that tiny red dot than this long white cloud.

Anyways why am I up at this hour in front of my coolass (supposedly pronounced as 'cool-ass' - Some random name I gave my cool laptop which ironically heats up so quickly I need to get a ventilator for it. Actually, I might change his/her name and gender anytime soon because coolass sounds like cool-less which might mean that its not very cool or that it is clueless) laptop when I should be doing more entertaining stuff.

Not as if you are that interested - more like I am interested to tell you. I'm doing my terribly arduous, mind-boggling, absolutely complicated, puzzling and unmanageable Art History Assignment (spelled as Assingment One on the question paper - shows how 'mind-boggling' it can be).

Nah, I'm just exaggerating - its not too difficult, its pretty intriguing in fact. And precisely because of that, I take forever to finish it because as usual I digress and start reading unrelated stuff. Its gonna bore some of you I reckon, but some stuff are pretty interesting. I was doing this question on how the illusion of 3 dimensional space can be created in paintings and its really quite cool - the use of linear perspective with the orthogonals and Ponzo illusion, aerial perspective and blah blah blah but whatever it is, damn the paintings are awesome! Plus a lil history bout them made it even more compelling.

I'm working on the second question now about meanings produced in paintings. Uh I chose 2 - The Venus of Urbino and Olympia. Both about nudity but the social context behind it was far more complicated (or lets say long-winded in layman's view) than I thought it would be. So it goes all the way back to the story as told in Genesis - Adam and Eve - the first nudes in the tradition: And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and it was a delight to the eyes...and did eat; and she gave also unto her husband...and the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked...And the Lord God called unto the man and said unto him, 'Where are thou?' And he said, 'I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself...' - They became aware of being naked because as the result of eating the apple, each saw the other differently. Nakedness was created in the mind of the beholder. The woman is blamed and is punished by being made subservient to the man. In relation to the woman, the man becomes the agent of God.

The social presence of a woman is different in kind from that of a man. A man's presence is dependent upon the promise of power which he embodies. By contrast, a woman's presence expresses her own attitude to herself and defines what can or cannot be done to her. Men act and women appear. Alright and there are so much more about the other paintings and differences of nudity and nakedness. Passing it off as just another erotic picture would really discredit the artist I reckon.

Ok, I really ought not to carry on because the main thing of reading all these stuff is not to post but to come up with an essay. If I go on and on here and probably hitting a word count of 2000 but still 0 on my word document window, I pretty much will not do well.

No comments: