Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Backpacking cont'd

I met up with Jes this afternoon and we talked over milk tea. After which I had a sudden urge to do more backpacking.

She was telling me that her dad is currently backpacking South America and would complete traveling round the world within the next 2 years. She told me how did they end up in NZ. Another eye-opener I guess. Her uncle is a sports doctor and represents his country for some Fifa thing. Like, doing check ups for the soccer players so whenever there are matches he gotta fly over for that. It sounds really cool! I guess he gets to meet all those rich and famous. We were studying this case in Public law - something about rights and she related how that actually affected her family. I was so damn shock, like... it actually affected you guys!

Sometimes meeting people with interesting backgrounds makes you feel like doing more in life. It makes you realize that there's a lot more which you haven't seen, haven't experienced, haven't felt and its up to you to fight for it. Life is not just 'here' and 'now', but its 'there' and 'then'. But the question is - whether you want to go for it, whether you dare to go for it?

Grace texted me just now, saying that they just finished kayaking in the South and are going for handgliding tomorrow. SY and J are in Mt Rupeahu skiing. I kinda regretted not joining them but I know I would regret even more if I go. I reckon I really like backpacking, although I'm not really a fan of touring. I think theres a subtle difference. I kinda planned my next big thing. I'm not that ambitious yet to backpack round the world - I don't have that kinda money either. But for the hols within the next 3 years, I'll try backpacking Australia since thats the cheapest alternative. I reckon I shouldn't continue traveling within NZ else I'll be going to the same places again and again and again which isn't really worth it.

And... after graduation... I'll backpack JAPAN!!!!!!!!! That would be around 2010. For that I really need to be very discipline and start saving. And for that, I'll take a mod on the Japanese language next sem.

Well, sounds a lil idealistic but... I gotta make that real. No, no this can't just be a moment of passion. Anyone interested?

No comments: