Sunday, April 15, 2007

dance inside

I've heaps of stuff to say but I don't know where to start. Its a Sunday morning, marking an end to my 1st week of holidays. And what have I accomplished the past week? Almost nil. I haven done the laundry for 2 weeks and no housework done either. But anyways, since when I constantly do the housework? I've a reason to that! Because Auckland is cold, things don't get dirty that easily. Haha ok you must be thinking where that logic came from. I don't know either. Everything just looks clean and how dirty can an apartment get if you are staying alone?!

Apple came down from melbourne with her mom for around 4 days. Its pretty cool, seeing her in Auckland, not in Sg. I haven seen her for ages and I think this is my first time talking so much to her.
Anyways, I'm really happy the past week, no particular reason, just realized some stuff and found some answers. I'll elaborate further some other time, when I'm done with all my work.
The not-so-happy stuff - I just received the question for my criminal law opinion. Check this out:

CRIMINAL LAW 201
COURSE ESSAY

Word limit: 1,500 words (including footnotes)
Due date: 12 noon, Thursday 17 July 2007

Ken Johnson and his partner Barbie live an hour’s drive north of Auckland. Ken is a 52 year old carpenter and Barbie is a seamstress. Ken has three children, Thomas aged 19 (who is living in Wellington), Louise aged 15 and Molly aged 9. The children’s mother died four years ago, and Barbie moved in with the family two years later. The two girls call Barbie “Mum.”
Ken and Barbie belong to an evangelistic religious movement called “The One True Faith.” The movement preaches a lifestyle based on strict religious teachings and the rejection of modern technology and medicine. Ken has a violent past, and has assaulted Barbie on several occasions in the last year.
Until recently, Louise had been a member of a youth group associated with The One True Faith. She had decided however to make new friends at school, and had started seeing a classmate Dwayne in secret, as she knew her Dad and Barbie would not approve. Seven months after she had started her relationship with Dwayne, Louise told her father that she “had something to tell him.” She proceeded to tell Ken that she was six months pregnant. Ken flew into a rage and ordered Louise to her room. Barbie tried to intervene, but Ken grabbed her by the arm and said “Put her in that room and shut the door or you’ll get it.” Scared for her own safety, Barbie complied with Ken’s demands.
For the next two months Ken and Barbie kept Louise locked in her room. They informed her school that she had moved away, and refused to take any calls from Dwayne. The only contact Louise had during the day was when Molly would bring her food or Ken or Barbie would come and pray for her. During these evening “prayer sessions” Ken and Barbie would counsel Louise about her “sinful behaviour”.
A month before she was due to give birth, Louise felt sharp pains in her abdomen. She screamed for help from Barbie, who told her that “this was God’s way of punishing her for being wicked.” Barbie asked her if she wanted to go to the hospital “so everyone there could see what a sinful dirty little girl she was.” Under pressure and in pain, Louise agreed that she did not want to go to the hospital. Louise’s screams were ignored and she endured an agonizing labour without assistance.
Louise’s baby boy, who she named Corey, died moments after his birth. The coronor’s report stated that he was severely malnourished, and that in normal circumstances a foetus of 36 weeks gestation would have a 95% chance of survival. The child did however have a congenital heart defect, which may have worsened later in life. Other medical reports establish that Louise is also severely malnourished and suffering from extreme stress and anxiety.

Assess the liability of Ken and Barbie in relation to Louise and Corey, and any defences they may have.

I think the only consoling thing is that its only 1500 words. Ok, it looks manageable but I know when I start doing it, I'll be cursing like mad. And you know what! Half the semester had already ended and I haven even bought the Crimes Act. Haha what a joke, I don't even have the Crimes Act.. what am I doing in Criminal law. My dad calls everyday saying, 'Ling arh, you must study hard you know. You must go for exchange. blah blah blah.' But I always remind him, I am taking law for fun. I don't want to push myself so hard as I did in my 1st year. Not that I don't like law, its just that, theres much more to do than studying. (What an excuse)

Although winter is round the corner, nights are getting colder but my days are getting brighter. I've this sudden adrenaline rush - I need to do more in life. Much more. At the age of 20, what have I done? Study? Everyone does that. If time permits, I will backpack Australia either the end of the year or beginning of next year. Last year's backpacking in NZ was just the beginning, a tryout to get the feel of it. Next week, I'll try out a short trip. You know, I'm excited - I bought a backpack and a sleeping bag. But of course, money and time are the limitations. Its suicidal, I know, to find a job whilst studying that 2 killer degrees, but I'll try. And I'm gonna learn piano from Van - something I always wanted and regretted giving up in the past. And I still want to do well. And I need money. I hope I can get a scholarship which may solve all the problems.

Its tough, but I guess, it makes life a bit more exciting, it makes me dance inside.

No comments: